Sunday, September 2, 2012

02 Sep - Irkutsk

It was a pretty lazy morning! Stayed in bed a bit longer this morning.

The plans for the day, is to get the Irkutsk-Moscow train ticket! Only then I can decide what's next!

Becos I didn't make prior reservations for the hostel, I do not have a bed for tonite! Luckily there's a space for me in the homestay next door, in the next building. I brought my bags over and headed back to the hostel. Waited for the French couple, Audrey and Pascal to be ready. They brought me to the train station. With the help of Pascal (who could speak a little Russian), I managed to purchase the Irkutsk-Moscow ticket!


Audrey and Pascal had purchased a really expensive train ticket from Irkutsk to Ulaan Baatar. I shared with them that they could buy the ticket from Irkutsk to Ulan Ude and then buy the onward ticket (since it will be the same train from Ulan Ude to Ulaan Baatar) or take a mini bus into Mongolia (from Ulan Ude). So Pascal went to get their original tickets refunded and bought a new set of tickets for a much lesser price!

Bumped into the Australians I've met while on the train (from Ulaan Baatar to Irkutsk). They forgot that the train departure timings are in the Moscow time and they were way too early for their train! Had a brief chat with them and headed to a nearby cafe for lunch with Audrey and Pascal.

It wasn't cheap or good but finally a decent meal in days!!! Satisfying!
Can't remember how much, should be about RUB180.

After lunch, we walked back to the hostel so that I can book the trip to Olkhon Island. Audrey and Pascal were waiting till evening to crash at their couchsurfer's place. I bumped into the three French students at the hostel. Invited them to join Audrey, Pascal and myself to head to the market. So off we went, to the market for beer and drinks! Had a nice afternoon, sitting outside a nice cafe chatting and lazing the afternoon away!

We went for a walk around the city.

--------- Photos --------------------

Audrey and Pascal had to leave. Said our good byes and the French and me, we walked along the river bank.

--------- Photos --------------------

Headed to the supermarket to get dinner. The French boys made omelette!


I stayed in the hostel chatting with the travelers until I was ready to get some rest! Turned out I have a roomie! An Italian guy who rode his motorbike from Italy to Irkutsk. I can't remember which part of Italy he's from. He's a teacher. Overheard him chatting with the host family. Teachers aren't paid well in Italy. He's earning less than me!

Showered, packed my bags and retired for the nite! All ready for tomorrow's excursion to Olkhon!

No comments:

Post a Comment