Woke up this morning with sights of the Baikal Lake!! Totally awesome! When they say it's the world largest fresh water lake, they really meant it! I could see the lake for 3 to 5 hours of the train journey! Actually I woke up, slept, and woke up and I still see the same lake! Lol!
Lake Baikal! Saw this when I first woke up!
Slept again. I'm in Russia! One of the stops.
Another view of the lake!
Hours later and I'm still seeing the lake!
I was sharing the berth/cabin with a Mongolian girl (who is studying in Moscow) and a Czech guy. The Czech guy gave me some travel advice for Prague. His friend (who's in the other cabin) offered to put me up at his apartment in the city should I visit Prague!
As I had left Ulaan Baatar without making any accommodation reservation in Irkutsk, I was in a little panic mode! I wasn't exactly panicking! Anyway, I was really lucky. I met a group of Australians. This Aussie guy, he was asking the train attendant if he has to make any transit/change of train to get to Irkutsk. The train attendant couldn't understand a word of English. I overheard the conversation, approached the guy, told him that I'm alighting at Irkutsk and that I'll inform him when it's time to alight. Had a brief chat with him and his travel mates. They were going to a hostel to pick up the bus tickets to Olkhon Island. So I said to them that I'll follow them!
Arrival in Irkutsk! Photo memories with the lovely people I've met on the train, from Ulaan Baatar to Irkutsk.
Jo commented that these people were wearing T shirts and I'm wearing a winter coat! Haha! It wasn't that cold. There's no space in my bags for me to stuff the jacket! Best way to carry it was to wear it!!!
Lovely weather! At 17°C it's not cold! *grins*
So I took a taxi with the Australians to the hostel. Lucky for me, there was a bed available (in the manger's room). So I put my stuff down, had a shower (and took a dump) and headed to the city for food! I was hungry!!!
All the menus were in the Russian language! No pictures! Boo! I saw Subway but didn't feel like it. So I continued walking to the market!
There was a queue at this store! So it must be good! I had a 'wrap'. No idea what it's called in Russia. Taste really good. Have absolute no idea what's inside though! I just pointed to the picture and held up one finger indicating I want one! Got myself a bottle of coke too! Sugar!!!
A quick snap of the market! Was simply too hungry and exhausted for any photo taking today!
On the way back to the hostel, I stopped by the supermarket. Grab some snacks and instant noodles (just in case I'm too tired to head out for dinner).
As I returned to the hostel, I was told that there was 4 cancellations. So I moved from the room (shared with the manager) to a dorm.
After a short rest, decided to head out again
--------------- Photos -----------------
The guy on the bed across stinks!!! He didn't seem to want to shower! There was a French couple and another girl (who's heading to Mongolia tomorrow). Had a few chats here and there. Gave the girl all my Mongolian currency (as I have no use for it and I can't get it changed anywhere else in the world)! Not much, probably about US$3.
I know myself too well! I was indeed too tired to head out. Had the instant noodles, and just lied in bed (surfing the internet and whatsapping) the entire nite!



No comments:
Post a Comment