Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Post Trans Siberia Thoughts

It has been 1.5 months since the Trans Siberia Rail trip.

I have yet to update the trip.

I have had a few people asking for advice and such. So I'm trying to consolidate everything into one post.

One question that I have always been asked. Why do I want to do the Trans Siberia? What is my motivation?

My Dad travelled round the world when he was a young man. He used to tell me bedtime stories on his travels and adventures. Read about my brother's post on Dad here.

"i then realised that perhaps my adventurous spirit was inherited from him. like him, i wanted to travel the world on my own, without any friends to pull me back, to see the world for wat it is and experience something i will nvr get a chance to."

Above are the words of my brother which I agree wholeheartedly with!

The research process
I started planning for the trip a few years ago. There will be moments where I really wanted to do the trip and I'll start research and planning and soon after, I'll forget about it. I have a very short attention span.

Talking to People
One of my friends did the Trans Siberia a few years ago. She lent me her guide books and gave me some pretty good advice, one of which is 'never to travel during winter'! She was also the one who reassured me that I'll do fine on the trip and that I have nothing to worry about!

I googled and read up on some of the travellers' blogs. I emailed some of them, asking for advice and if my itinerary looks ok, etc. Only one of them replied! His name is Warren. He's a Malaysian living in New York. A very well-travelled guy!

So when I decided to quit the job, I started consolidating all the research that I have done over the years. I was in some sort of panic as I had only 3 weeks of planning before I went on the trip!

Visas!

Trains Information


Accommodation
China
As hotels in China are relatively cheap (to me), I stayed in hotels rather than hostels. Plus I'm very particular about cleanliness. I chose 4 stars hotels. The prices range from SGD40 to SGD60 a night.

Will need to check my hardcopy travel journal for the names of the hotels and hostels I've stayed.



No comments:

Post a Comment